[Seaside] So where is the "release" version of 3.7?

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 09:18:41 UTC 2007

2007/2/27, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>:
> > - Create a Seaside2.7-stable branch on the SqueakSource repository
> > - Put the last version from Seaside2.7a1 to the stable branch
>
> I strongly suggest not to do so. We willl just end up having a mess in
> the SqueakSource repository with even more packages, labels, branches,
> special versions, etc. Nobody will be able to understand anymore what
> to load, what to merge, what is experimental, what is to be merged
> into what version and what is not to be merged.
>
> Monticello and SqueakSource are not ment for that, there is SqueakMap
> that provides a convenient way to load a known working version. And as
> I already said several times now, but everybody keeps on ignoring,
> there is a version of Seaside marked as 2.7-final on SqueakMap, with
> the release log of Philippe. For those that prefer to write mails
> instead of opening an image I even attached a screenshot.

Sorry Lukas, I was not clear enough. I know you did SeasideInstaller
but SqueakMap is just used in a way to easily load a file from
SqueakSource. So, where do we put bug corrections on 2.7 branch ?
Maybe 2.7a1. I agree with you however: monticello repositories are not
meant for getting stable versions.

> Damien, if you would like to take the responsibility of the 'Seaside
> Installer' on SqueakMap I can add you to the project. The Seaside
> SqueakSource repository where the installer is maintained is already
> open ...

I think it's a good solution.

A possible enhancement to your "Seaside Installer" would be the use of
a fixed adress on the web which contains text files containing version
information. For example:

http://www.seaside.st/version_info/seaside_stable.txt
http://www.seaside.st/version_info/seaside2.7_stable.txt
http://www.seaside.st/version_info/seaside2.6_stable.txt

With seaside_stable.txt pointing to seaside2.7_stable.txt and
seaside2.7_stable.txt containing :

"
http://www.squeaksource.com/Seaside/Seaside2.7a1-mb.205.mcz
"

The website can also point to the same text file. So that, we only
have one place to tell where is the last stable version.

--
Damien Cassou