[Seaside] So where is the "release" version of 3.7? - while we're on the subject

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Tue Feb 27 18:59:12 UTC 2007

Not to complicate the discussion too much, but...

As many of you already know, we are porting Seaside to Gemstone. As part
of that effort we have decided to port Monticello to Gemstone as well.

We want to make it easy for folks to move their applications from a
Squeak image to a Gemstone image and Monticello seems to be a natural fit.

Of course, this adds an extra dimension to the naming issue: because of
platform differences, there will be some monticello packages that are
Gemstone specific (today _all_ monticello packages are Squeak specific).

The fundamental question is should the platform be encoded in the name
(i.e., Package_gemstone.branch-author.99) or not (implied by the branch)?

For example, I have a version of seaside stored in
Seaside2.6g-dkh.18.mcz. This version contains Squeak source and has as
an ancestor Seaside2.6a3-avi.73.mcz. There will be an equivalent version
that contains the Gemstone source.

After the discussion of the last few days, I assume that the squeak
version should be stored in a package called Seaside2.6a3-dkh.74.mcz,
since it contains code that is rooted in the 6a3 branch.

My question is what should the version of the Gemstone code be called?
It will be functionally equivalent to Seaside2.6a3-dkh.74.mcz, but will
contain Gemstone specific code.

BTW, we already plan on hosting a Gemstone SqueakSource site, so that we
don't pollute the site with gemstone-specific packages.

I think that the version name should share a common branch and package
name with a platform designator...

What do you folks think?

Dale