[Seaside] Seaside 2.7

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:37:48 UTC 2007

2007/2/28, Koji Yokokawa <koubo2006 at yengawa.jpn.org>:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:17:01 +0100
> "Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2007/2/28, Koji Yokokawa <koubo2006 at yengawa.jpn.org>:

> > > And, that WAUrl patch for Squeak3.8 is a temporary work-around to avoid
> > > exception. I think String>>escapedForHTTP should convert the WideString
> > > to utf-8 at the sametime, like the implementation in Squak3.9.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Well, but some users will post wide-strings easily, they don't care
> > > about the developer's intention. Then some application will be crushed.
> > > I noticed that Pier is broken by a post in Japanese.
> >
> > Then this is a bug in your Pier setup. Pier see below how Pier
> > supports posts in Korean
> > http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/studenckifestwal?command=PRViewCommand&view=PBPostHtmlView
> >
> > This setup uses WAKom and therefore ByteStrings. ByteStrings don't
> > mean you can't support non-latin1 languages.
>
> Good!
> Sorry, it's my misunderstanding. Pier is NOT broken by Japanese text too.
>
> I agree it's enough to display it in a web-browser.
> However, it is not the point I'm afraid. I mean the non-latin1 text is
> broken as a WideString in Squeak. The text cannot be saw and handled
> crrectly in the Squeak side, not in the web-browsers.

That's true. But Pier is (mostly) a web application. It (in general)
doesn't display morphs and stuff so this is less of an issue. Even if
it did display morphs it whould probably be a pain to getting all the
characters displayed correctly. I can tell you it is a pain to paste
non-latin1 (some times even non-ascii) text into Squeak.

> So that, you
> cannot edit, even search, the text from Squeak. And, I think, it will be
> cause of many bugs.

Kinda depends what you are doing. Most web applications I have seen
just consume strings and ouput them again unchanged. You only have to
pay attention when you are creating substrings (the first n
characters). Naive text searching might return a few false positives.
Sure, if you are building a suffix tree or boyer moore text search and
stuff then you really have to pay attention. But if you use a
relational database (the main case where it is interesting to just
have uft-8 strings), and set the encoding correctly everything works
just fine.

Philippe