[Seaside] Call for help: Seaside performances

Vincent Girard-Reydet vincent.girard-reydet at f4-group.com
Thu Jan 11 16:31:19 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I have to study performances of Seaside compared to other solutions
(namely Java, PHP). The target would be a large application with many
services and very high number of users (possibly several 100,000). The
web servers would be deployed in a web farm with load balancing, etc.
The goal is to have high availability and very good response time.

I'm interested in any return of experience, and pointers to performance
tests and architecture definitions (even sparse). I'll try to avoid the
troll of wether seaside is better than java or PHP (that's not the
debate: seaside rules but I have to prove it ;-) ).

As some of you already know, I've made a first application using
Squeak/Seaside, but the performances are quite deceiving (a 1/12 in
favor of PHP, 1/6 for Java). Perhaps Squeak is not the best choice for
the VM ?

Avi, I heard you use Seaside to server dabbledb.com. Could you provide
some hints on the architecture for achieving good performances ?

All information greatly welcomed. Thanks for your help,

Vincent