[Seaside] Call for help: Seaside performances

Boris Popov boris at deepcovelabs.com
Thu Jan 11 23:47:03 UTC 2007

That's a pretty neat way of doing it when you partition the application
in a predictable manner, be it the hostname or the url token. In our
case we'll just have a fat stateful load balancer in front of an army of
medium sized servers (multiple VMs across a few servers, actually) that
proxies requests round the pool for new sessions and to the matching
machine for existing sessions based on their session cookie (or _s
parameter, since we use both now), in which case scaling is achieved by
adding more machines to the pool and spreading the load evenly across.
You can also get away with doing simpler IP based load balancing in most
cases which saves you cycles on the balancer that are needed to extract
the session id and serve as an SSL proxy, exception being the clients
from networks where outside gateway keeps changing all the time, which
AOL used to do quite a bit, not sure about the state of things nowadays.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322