[Seaside] Call for help: Seaside performances

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Fri Jan 12 21:46:55 UTC 2007

> The prototype we have done uses apache first to serve the
> domain name (3 virtual hosts on the same server), then
> proxies all Seaside requests to a software load balancer on
> the same server. The load balancer we use for now is HAProxy,
> but I think the trick of Avi (having an external program used
> in apache) is worth trying. We ran into problems using apache
> proxying and cookies, namely apache's mod_proxy_balancer
> isn't able to stick sessions on the same server. That's why
> we use HAProxy as the load balancer.
>
> Vincent

Are you sure about this?  From what I can see, you can pass a cookie name to
ProxyPass when using mod_proxy_balancer and it will do sticky sessions.

    ProxyPass / balancer://ramonOne/seaside/wbv6/$1 stickysession=_s
    ProxyPassReverse / balancer://ramonOne/seaside/wbv6/$1

Though, now I'm fighting a bug with cookies and infinite redirects because I
have to enable session cookie to get this to work.  I saw this discussed,
but I think the recent proposed hack doesn't take into account a basepath of
/ when running behind Apache.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com