[Seaside] Re: Benchmark results for Aida/Web

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Jan 17 11:53:13 UTC 2007

Hi Stef,

on Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:53:23 +0100, you wrote:
> Hi lukas
>
> I still think that this is important to recognize that people like
> vincent has serious concerns about
> seaside scalability. Vincent seemed to be really enthousiast about
> seaside. Now they will certainly
> switch to PhP because of speed.

In the commercial world this does not happen, Stef. If they choose PhP
then they do so because that was set right from the beginning. Even when
someone wishes to do something else, nobody hires (+educates +trains) 3-13
Smalltalk programmers just because the existing PhP team failed to win the
performance challenge.

Only _after_ a (commercial) project fails (fails b/o hw, fails b/o sw =>
failure reason almost irrelevant) then the speed comparision is taken a
bit more seriously into account. Remember that Google started with (and
still has) Perl scripts:

- http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+job&gl=US

then view the Google entry under "Sponsored Links".

OT: repeat the same search but with other languages, hit refresh
frequently (3-13 times per language should show you all the advertisers).
[still OT]: this one hindered me using $$ AdWords to promote Squeak,
cannot bid more or equal to what Google bids for their own ads :(

> Vincent could you let us know.

Yes, please.

/Klaus