[Seaside] Benchmark results for Aida/Web

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 15:47:52 UTC 2007

> I think it is honest to potential users of our web app servers to have a
> concrete info about strengths and weaknesses of each offering.

Yes, I completely agree.

I doubt that a generic benchmark (or a set of generic benchmarks) can
help you to evaluate the perfect web solution for your problem. That
needs to be done on a per  project/problem bases and there are people
(consultants) that can help with that.

It is well known that Seaside is hungry on resources and that you need
to do load balancing earlier than with other approaches; it is also
well known that Seaside provides an incredibly productive level of
abstraction and makes it possible to build complex applications in
days where others needs months to get the same thing.

To use Seaside for a web application with 1'000'000 users I would say
'no' at first. Later on it comes clear that there are only 10'000
sessions expected at once. Probably I would still say 'no'. If you
count 4 MB a session for a really complex web application with lots of
state, this would mean you are required to have 40 GB of memory. If
you now distribute that on 15 machines this becomes already reasonable
and I would probably say 'yes'. Of course it also depends on what the
customer wants: Probably this is cheaper to by a couple of linux boxes
and get the application in half a year than to pay the salary of a
whole army to develop a less powerful application during the 2 years.
Maybe the project can be further split down as only the 1'000
administrators require complex application logic and the rest are more
or less static pages. I think this is where Seaside starts to be
strong ...

What I want to show is that there are so many factors and things to
consider that cannot be caught with a generic benchmark. Therefor I
see no benefit in doing that.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli