[Seaside] Benchmark results for Aida/Web

Vincent Girard-Reydet vincent.girard-reydet at f4-group.com
Thu Jan 18 11:11:24 UTC 2007

Ramon, Lukas,

Thanks for these clarifications. My skills in web development are not
very high, and undoubtfully I came with the wrong question.

However, don't you think it would be great having a sort of comparison
between the different solutions we have on Smalltalk to create web
applications ? For example, from what I can see (but I may be wrong)
Seaside is a great choice for web applications with a quite strict flow,
similar to GUI applications. But is it the good choice too when you come
to creating applications with many, many paths? If not, and you want to
use Seaside, how should you re-think your application to fully exploit
Seaside ?

I guess this is the type of questions you think I should have asked from
the beginning. Perhaps it could be great we start creating a sort of
guidelines on using Seaside efficiently, and the type of architecture an
web application requires to use Seaside efficiently.

I totally agree with you on the fact that Seaside greatly improves
development cost - and maintenance cost too, because Seaside's code is
soooo much clearer as PHP.... However I have to fight with people who
want numbers, and are quite difficult to convince without raw benchmarks
results. From the beginning, my point is to find how, with my 1.000.000
users application (OK for the 10.000 sessions) with many many paths, to
build an efficient solution with Seaside.
We had problems reaching good performances with our prototype - however
I did not know the load balancing tops you provided already. I think if
we want to see massive applications developped with Seaside - and I'm
convinced it is possible, we definitely need to gather the best
practices, as we've begun in this thread.

Vincent