[Seaside] Benchmark results for Aida/Web

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Thu Jan 18 12:20:19 UTC 2007

On 18 janv. 07, at 12:11, Vincent Girard-Reydet wrote:

> Ramon, Lukas,
>

> Thanks for these clarifications. My skills in web development are
> not very high, and undoubtfully I came with the wrong question.

I think that this is really important to get this kind of discussions.
I think that this is also important that the community does not get
into aida (http://www.aidaweb.si/)is better than seaside.
I think that this is important that people get aware of the
possibility and tradeoffs and that we grow the use of Smalltalk
for web serving.
So please ask questions even if they may sounds stupid.

> However, don't you think it would be great having a sort of
> comparison between the different solutions we have on Smalltalk to
> create web applications ? For example, from what I can see (but I
> may be wrong) Seaside is a great choice for web applications with a
> quite strict flow, similar to GUI applications. But is it the good
> choice too when you come to creating applications with many, many
> paths? If not, and you want to use Seaside, how should you re-think
> your application to fully exploit Seaside ?

This is fun because I thought the contrary in fact. What is an
application that does have multiple paths?

> I guess this is the type of questions you think I should have asked
> from the beginning. Perhaps it could be great we start creating a
> sort of guidelines on using Seaside efficiently, and the type of
> architecture an web application requires to use Seaside efficiently.

Sure

> I totally agree with you on the fact that Seaside greatly improves
> development cost - and maintenance cost too, because Seaside's code
> is soooo much clearer as PHP.... However I have to fight with
> people who want numbers, and are quite difficult to convince
> without raw benchmarks results. From the beginning, my point is to
> find how, with my 1.000.000 users application (OK for the 10.000
> sessions) with many many paths, to build an efficient solution with
> Seaside.
> We had problems reaching good performances with our prototype -
> however I did not know the load balancing tops you provided
> already. I think if we want to see massive applications developped
> with Seaside - and I'm convinced it is possible, we definitely need
> to gather the best practices, as we've begun in this thread.

Good!
Consensus may kill creativity and we have to have challenges to build
up the next solutions :)