[Seaside] Seaside + Comet

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 08:17:52 UTC 2007

> I want to reuse the renderOn: behaviour. For example the update
> message to the component don`t have a reference to the render, so my
> problem is to get a render in order to use the renderOn message.
> How do I get the render in that context? is it possible?

If you use

     SUElement new

the element won't be able to render, as it doesn't know the context.
Therefor you should use the factory methods

     html element ...

or

     html scriptaculous element
     (the new way of doing it)

what basically does the same but assigns the curent context to the
element, so that it can do fancy stuff like rendering and registering
callbacks.

> * I have a process that periodically (5 seconds) sends an update
> message to the component.

Why don't you use the periodical updater then? Is there a difference
between pulling every 5 seconds (AJAX, Scriptaculous, easy) and
pushing every 5 seconds (Comet, relatively complicated and resource
hungry)?

Cheers,
Lukas

--