[Seaside] Is your code for your Seaside web-app using concise methods?

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Wed Jan 24 02:31:40 UTC 2007

I've been working on a web-app with Seaside/Glorp for a while now
(although it's been on hold since November when I last worked on it) and
find that some of my administrative classes are getting a bit larger
than I really want.. I can certainly refactor the code to collect each
functional-area of the admin interface into its own class, but am
curious about whether others out there with Seaside apps have most or
almost all of your classes with methods containing <10 lines of code
(give or take)?   Some of my admin methods have >20-30+ lines of code --
many of which are laying out forms or handling callbacks..  In those
cases, I don't think there's much that can be done  -- correct?

Right now, my admin interface deals with the following sub-areas (with a
bit over 30 methods):

  o Category maintenance
  o Inventory maintenance
  o Order management
  o Vendor management
  o a few other misc. items

I'm probably going to try to refactor out each sub-area into its own
class which will take a bit of surgery to accomplish, but it should make
the code a bit easier to follow I think..

Anyway, I guess I'm just curious if my ST coding skills are leading me
down the wrong direction (I'm used to writing C++ code for my day-job
where it's not uncommon to find methods with 50-100 or more lines) and I
should be going for more simplicity in how my methods & objects are laid
out..

Comments?