[Seaside] How can I know which version of seaside to load with which version of Scriptaculous

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 19:31:15 UTC 2007

> How can I know which version of seaside to load with which version of
> Scriptaculous?

It is simple, use 'Seaside Installer' from SqueakMap and you get a
working installation including Kom, Seaside, and Scriptaculous. All
the prerequisites and dependencies are automatically loaded, and they
will work together.

To keep up-to-date, you simply load the latest version of Seaside
(from the Seaside2.7a branch) together with the latest version of
Scriptaculous.

> Dependencies will kill us slowly.

The dependencies between these two packages are only a problem if you
are using an old version of Seaside and then suddenly want to load
Scriptaculous with exactly this version. This can be tricky, agreed.
It is possible, but why not just update to the latest Seaside?

Most projects I have seen use exactly the same schema of keeping the
dependencies between internal versions: The idea is to have an empty
root package that has all your project packages and external libraries
as dependencies. So a common Seaside project will looks like:

- MyProject-Root
   - DynamicBindings
   - KomHttpServices
   - KomHttpServer
   - Seaside
   - Scriptaculous
   - Magritte-Model
   - Magritte-Seaside
   - RSRSS
   - ... (and more external packages)
   - MyProject-Model
   - MyProject-View

What you do is basically copy all the external dependencies into your
repository. This makes it possible to load all your code with the
right dependencies, even maybe after years the original repository is
gone. You might want to update the external libraries from time to
time, that's easily possible with the excellent merge facilities of
Monticello.

Cheers,
Lukas

--