[Seaside] [ANN] new Seaside homepage

Richard Eng richard.eng at rogers.com
Fri Jul 13 13:36:22 UTC 2007

We shouldn't give Rails any more "airtime" than they've already got. But
there's no denying that they've taken the high ground. Seaside faces
enormous pressures from Rails' popularity. For example...

I've made the decision to use Seaside for a commercial venture. (I've been
warned against this because I'm a Seaside newbie. But that's another story.)
People who are aware of my decision are trying to get me to switch to Java,
Ruby on Rails, or JRuby. It's safer, they say, because the amount of
"infrastructure, or ecosystem, support" I'd get would be much greater than
for Seaside/Smalltalk. They may have a point.

I note a recent development:
http://www.nedforce.nl/2007/6/11/whootube-ruby-on-rails-video-streaming-open
-sourced

Does Seaside have anything similar for video streaming? (And, yes, my
commercial venture does involve video streaming.)

Nevertheless, I want to proceed with Seaside. People like Avi Bryant and
Ramon Leon make too powerful arguments for me to ignore. *Seaside is a risk
well worth taking.*

Now there's a slogan!  :-)

Regards,
Richard