[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share and Seaside doesn't

Giles Bowkett gilesb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:58:18 UTC 2007

> The bulk of my development work has been in Java, Smalltalk and Ruby
> (~60%, ~10%, ~30% respectively).  I have done quite a bit of
> development in Rails.  With this background, I would like to offer one
> more reason why I think Rails gets more market-share than our beloved
> Seaside.
>
> Hypothesis: many developers get sucked into Rails and the RailsWay
> simply because it's so easy to prototype new apps or get quick and
> dirty solutions running.

I think this is true. I'm pretty sure ease of adoption is a priority
for Rails core. But I don't think this is necessarily such a problem.
Rails apps, because of the incredibly gentle learning curve, are kind
of a magnet for bad code. The goal isn't to take over the world or
whatever. Just because lots of people are into Rails doesn't
necessarily mean your Rails experience will be a good one.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org