[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share and Seaside doesn't

Conrad Taylor conradwt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 01:39:03 UTC 2007

Hi, I agree with the point that Giles makes in response to the comments by
Jason.  Also, I would like to say that market share doesn't mean anything.
 For example, more people are using PHP than Rails. Also, more people are
using Java than Rails.  Please don't get me wrong but I do like Rails as
well as its community but don't try to pit Seaside against Rails.  It's a
different framework for building web applications.  One of the prerequisites
of Seaside development is to be fairly comfortable with Smalltalk.  Also,
one needs to be comfortable with Ruby to be proficient at Rails.  Next,
agile developer should be a part of the solution instead a part of the
problem.  Thus, in the open-source community, if something doesn't exist,
you build it and/or assist in its implementation.  For example, Alan Knight
has built GLORP and is also working on an ActiveRecord implementation.
 Seaside is a community effort and it should be treated as such.  Jason,
what are you doing to provide support to Seaside instead of pointing out its
shortcomings in comparison to Rails?  I'm sure that there's a list of
enhancements that need developers to implement.
-Conrad