[Seaside] addToStartUpList:after: and addToShutDownList: on SeasidePlatformSupport

Michel Bany michel.bany at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 06:27:57 UTC 2007

On 18 Jul 2007, at 08:01 , Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> There's addToStartUpList:after: in SeasidePlatformSupport so that
> this method can perform different on different dialects. I've
> noticed that WAKom and WAListener call this method directly on
> Smalltalk while the rest of the code uses SeasidePlatformSupport.
>
> As well as that, addToShutDownList: doesn't exist on
> SeasidePlatformSupport yet and so it is also called on Smalltalk.
>
> Could this be changed so that SeasidePlatformSupport is used
> consistently and addToShutDownList: is added to
> SeasidePlatformSupport ?

Hi Michael,

Some portions of the Seaside package are excluded from the port to
VisualWorks. This includes WAKom and WAListener. Those things that
are excluded from the port do not need the extra effort of using
SeasidePlatformSupport, that's why they send their messages directly
to Smalltalk. As far as I know, none of the ported portions of
Seaside sends #addToShutDownList:, that's why this doesn't need an
implementation in SeasidePlatformSupport.

Method #addToStartUpList:after: is no longer sent in the ported
portions of Seaside. This method has now been removed from Squeak but
not yet in Seaside. This is dead wood.

The rules for deciding what gets ported to VisualWorks and what
doesn't are implemented by SeasideVWInfo and its superclasses.
Basically, all classes from class category Seaside-Platform are
excluded, all **extension** methods that include "-squeak" in their
method category are excluded.

HTH,
Michel.