[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Chad Nantais cnantais at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:44:51 UTC 2007

I agree with Ramon 100% on this.

I made my way across the spectrum from
PHP->Python->Ruby->Smalltalk/Seaside over a 6 year timespan.  It was
the reduction of pain and increase in pleasure that motivated my
movement each time.  And, I don't think there's anything more pleasing
and painless than Seaside at this time.

Couldn't newbieizing Seaside detract from qualities that attract more
advanced programmers, or at least make it less "fit-for-purpose" for
the advanced?

Chad

On 7/18/07, Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Ramon.  I agree with your comments, but I wasn't brave
> > enough to say "forget all the newbies".  Having said that
> > though, there are a lot of newbies on this list who are
> > interested.  Your blog and other tutorials go a long way to
> > helping them get into it, and hopefully see the light.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Rogers
>
> I'm not totally saying forget the newbies, I just want to point out that not
> every framework has to be targeted at "newbie programmers".  Someone has to
> cater to more experienced programmers who actually care about silly things
> like *flexible* architecture and plugability rather than just how fast can I
> puke out a table onto a screen.
>
> Programming well isn't easy, and it's almost a disservice to make things
> look too easy and trick people into thinking they can do something they
> really shouldn't be.  Anyone who doesn't instantly see the intrinsic value
> of Seaside probably isn't ready for it.  They haven't worked in enough other
> frameworks to really feel the pain that makes Seaside so attractive.  I
> don't want to scare anyone away, but from my experience, Seaside isn't a
> framework for beginners, PHP owns that market.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

Chad Nantais

http://myspace.com/chadnantais