[Seaside] updateRoot: Weirdness

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Wed Jul 18 18:18:48 UTC 2007

Marcin Tustin wrote:
> Does this offer performace benefits as such, or is that Apache
> provides the infrastructure for a scalable configuration?

Both.

First, Squeak is fairly bad at serving static content (whether using
File Libraries or Comanche directly) so having a front-end web server
(apache, lighthttpd etc) can often times improve the user's perception
of the responsiveness of your application.  See
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/539

Second, Seaside can be fairly memory and CPU intensive so having a means
to load balance across multiple images or machines is useful.  Apache,
lighthttpd, HAProxy just a few of the long list of possible
load-balancing solutions.  I've used apache quite a bit so I tend to
refer to it more than the alternatives.  Normally I like a single static
file server/proxy/load balancer but I've seen people use various
combinations.  For example:

http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/scaling-seaside-redux-enter-the-penguin/

uses apache and HAProxy.

David