[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Richard Eng richard.eng at rogers.com
Wed Jul 18 21:43:37 UTC 2007

On 7/18/07 4:47 PM, "Ramon Leon" <ramon.leon at allresnet.com> wrote:

>>> From what I've seen of Seaside so far, there is no reason whatsoever
>>> its
>> power can't be made more accessible to the "masses."
>
> I can name one, Smalltalk.  Seaside can't be accessible to the masses
> because Smalltalk isn't accessible to the masses because it's *different*.
> The masses don't like different.  The masses want files and text editors and
> svn or cvs.  The masses don't want to change, Smalltalk requires change,
> instant conflict.
>
> Using Seaside requires two giant changes, adopting Smalltalk and adopting an
> entirely different approach to web development.  As Smalltalk is 30+ years
> old and hasn't been adopted by the masses, I don't see Seaside doing it.

I fear that you are right. However, I will not give up hope!

It is very hard to sell Smalltalk/Squeak on its own. So don't. Sell Seaside,
instead! Strategically, Smalltalk never previously had the advantage of
something like Seaside. So now we have a secret weapon.

And let's not forget Croquet (Ubuntu's Mark Shuttleworth has been singing
its praises, recently)...

>> I certainly do not share this view. There's nothing wrong
>> with being a niche player, but I have greater hopes for Seaside.
>
> I do hope the community grows, but I don't want to see it turn into a fad
> like Rails where the bandwagon jumps aboard.  Smaller communities are more
> focused and fun.

Agreed. Seaside should not be a fad. Smaller communities are generally more
focused but big communities *can* be fun. Take the Ubuntu Linux community,
for example. It really depends on the people who "drive" the community. I
think Seaside has a great bunch in people like Ramon, Avi, Lukas, etc.

So don't be afraid to grow!

Regards,
Richard