[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Robert Stehwien rstehwien at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:53:09 UTC 2007

> As someone who has been writing software for over 20 years, I am quite
> baffled by my colleagues' attitude when it comes to adopting new languages
> and methods. I like playing with toys, so I welcome the opportunity to try
> new tools. This has been the foundational principle of my long career.

I find those attitudes strange myself.  While I've been mainly a C++
developer for 12 years (with a short break for Java), I try other
languages regularly (python, ruby, and now smalltalk).  I find it
quite exciting to dip my toe in a new language.  Sadly the new
language can sometimes make me a little grumpy about C++.

I'm still astonished that more people don't use Smalltalk.  I tried
looking into it 10 years ago but the compiler price scared me off.
I'm very glad the world is different now.

> When I first looked at Squeak, I was a little intimidated. But it didn't
> take long for me to get used to it. I don't mind at all that I'm not dealing
> with source files. It's a different way of doing things and it has its own
> benefits. What's the big deal?

Exactly.  It really isn't that much different.  But then I've often
used different IDEs so I never got attached to Emacs, vi, etc.

My only complaints with Squeak are some of the appearance, some
difficulty finding documentation on what I'm interested in doing, and
a little nagging practicality that asks "can I get a job doing this?".

> Ditto for Seaside. So it's not the conventional way of doing things. Why
> should that be a stumbling block? In fact, it's an *easier* way of doing
> things!

Seaside certainly looks more OO than other web development frameworks.

> People are lazy. People don't know how to have fun. They stick with the
> familiar. If you've been programming in C++ or Java for 10 years, how can
> you still be having fun writing software? The answer is: You can't! Neither
> of those languages is fun.

Amen, not much fun at all.  Here is to finding more fun work in the
future or at least writing an app in Seaside.

--Robert