[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Rick Flower rickf at ca-flower.com
Thu Jul 19 01:22:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, July 18, 2007 4:32 pm, Richard Eng wrote:

> As someone who has been writing software for over 20 years, I am quite
> baffled by my colleagues' attitude when it comes to adopting new languages
> and methods. I like playing with toys, so I welcome the opportunity to try
> new tools. This has been the foundational principle of my long career.

While I don't generally talk 'shop' to others at work about different
languages to try and whatnot, I generally find that most people I work with
know C/C++ and Perl.. I don't think I've ever heard any of them talk about
trying out other languages.. FWIW..

> (I'm currently engaged in a long-running argument with a former colleague
> who is now a C++ fanboy!)

I used to be a C++ fanboy, but the spots have worn off and I'm now a
Smalltalk fanboy!  I've been using C++ in embedded environments and also
commercial software for ~10 years and have been doing C for another 8-10
on top of that.. I remember those ickly 'cfront' days for C++.. Eww..

> As I've never done web development before, I have no vested interest in
> sticking with what I know. But even if that weren't true, I am open-minded
> enough to investigate new ways of doing things. I can't understand why
> others don't feel the same way.

I'm always interested in finding a better way to do things.. Shoot, I
switched from PHP to Smalltalk+Seaside, but most people aren't interested
in change.. (please refer to the "Who Moved My Cheese" book for info on why
"change" is good.. (8->

> (My C++ fanboy friend refuses to give Seaside/Smalltalk a spin.)

Doesn't surprise me one bit..

> People are lazy. People don't know how to have fun. They stick with the
> familiar. If you've been programming in C++ or Java for 10 years, how can
> you still be having fun writing software? The answer is: You can't!
> Neither
> of those languages is fun.

I agree 100%!