[Seaside] updateRoot: Weirdness

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Jul 19 02:22:49 UTC 2007

Keith Hodges wrote:
> I don't think that  everyone is interested in being an expert at
> configuring wierdo linux technologies. I myself have no intention of
> ever having to write apache rewrite rules. If I ever have to then I
> figure something is wrong.
Of course.  I'm sure your rant isn't directed at me but I'd like to
point out that often times these weirdo technologies are the best
solutions for the problem.  You're right that not /everyone/  is
interested in them.

Anyway, my reasoning was kind of linear...you should store static
content on the file system because ultimately you'll be using apache to
serve it anyway.  Yours was different...you should store static content
on the file system because the tools you use to manage this content are
file-based.  In either case we agree on result.

What we need is a solution that makes it easy for beginners to serve
static content through Squeak (from the image and/or file system,
doesn't matter) and to switch to a front-end web server if/when the need
presents itself.   FWIW I also tried to get a solution to this problem
into the base distro.  WAKom class>>startOn:servingFilesFrom: configured
Comanche, not Seaside, to serve files from your selected directory but
it was dropped...twice.  Based on discussions with Lukas I believe that
he is determined to see the in-image file library concept adopted by
beginners but I think it has many pitfalls (of which you cited a few).
Maybe this will be the beginning of a larger discussion on this
topic?...now that several of us are clearly interested in improving the
situation.

BTW, serving static content is my #1 FAQ in personal e-mails from new
Seaside developers.  URL mapping is #2.

David