[Seaside] updateRoot: Weirdness

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 08:02:04 UTC 2007

> Seaside is not a webserver and not a database layer. It is a web
> application development framework. Webservers live Apache for lighttpd
> are preferable for serving static files because this is the job they
> are really good at and optimized for. They are written in C they use
And here I think we see the difference of approach quite clearly.

For the most part out there 90% of people doing stuff use the wrong
technology for doing their stuff. Other threads are discussing the
difficulty others have in jumping to the smalltalk/seaside ship because
they want to use the wrong technology for the job.

Take zope for example. Medusa was/is a single threaded web server
written in python. ZODB provided the db back end. Is anything in python
optimal? Put it all together and it was fairly successful. Point of
information, the code quality in zope itself was appalling.

One might argue that in order to be successful you have to be prepared
to be the wrong technology for someones project.

ST/X can do a pretty good job of web serving. So as a thought I wonder,
how much use of continuations does 2.8 actually still do? If seaside can
be ported to ST/X that would be awesome.

Keith