[Seaside] updateRoot: Weirdness

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Jul 19 16:08:05 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Because you code had several issues including not working after saving
> the image.
>
> Philippe

Possibly although it works fine for me.  This was never brought up in
any discussions of this method (or I would have fixed it).  The
rationale given to me by Lukas is attached below just to prove my
point.  Also note that Lukas agreed to keep the method.  If I really
wanted to push this point I would have back when you removed it.  To be
frank my position is simple: I make money writing Seaside applications
and you guys do a good job moving Seaside forward.  I have my own
distribution with my own extensions so your whims are of no consequence
to me.  Still, the larger community has spoken about their needs in
terms of serving static contents (mostly from the file system, it
seems).  It might be that we simply need to support an effort like
Sandcastle and/or Jetsam, from what I've read about them, and make them
more visible to the Seaside beginner community.  What Keith pointed out,
though, is that it is a shame to have to go this route for such a simple
bit of functionality.

David

-----(this e-mail was to Stef Ducasse and CC-ed to me regarding my
addition of WAKom class>>startOn:servingFilesFrom:)-----