What's the (technical) purpose of adding t/seaside/ to the path (was: Re: [Seaside] how to remove '/seaside/someApp')

Cédrick Béler cbeler at enit.fr
Fri Jul 20 09:30:18 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall a écrit :
> 2007/7/19, Ching de la Serna <ching.dls at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a little problem. How do I remove '/seaside/someApp'  such that I
>> could have: 'http://someDomain.com/' instead of '
>> http://someDomain.com/seaside/someApp'. Help anyone?
>
> The short answer is you can't. The long answer is if you run behind
> Apache 2 (which is a good idea) you can use mod_rewrite to hide it.

Whether I prefer using Apache, I once twicked/hacked the WADispatcher to
remove '/seaside/' from the path...
WADispatcher default setName: ''    this work for 2.8... [1] but
probably not to use...

So I'm wondering for a long time if there a (technical) reason for
adding such a path (and seaside/go/ in vw) ?... just out of curiosity...
Is it to make different web services lives together ?

Thanks

Cédrick

[1] :  I did accept the following code to modify the existing instances
of Dispatcher, but don't really know if useful (I think my problem was
related to Pier). Pier will raise a dispatcher error (just skip the test
and it works fine).
| origin |
WADispatcher allInstancesDo: [:ea | ea parent ifNil: [ea setName: ''.
origin := ea] ifNotNil: [ea setParent: origin ]].