[Seaside] updateRoot: Weirdness

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Fri Jul 20 10:10:52 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> Attached you will find FilesystemLink
>
> What does it do:
> Make a certain entry point point to a certain place on the file
> system. Very simple, very inefficient, very inflexible, very untested,
> very immature, very "reinvent-the-wheel". But half way portable to
> different dialects and webservers and integrates nicely into the
> Seaside environment without a single code change. So you're not forced
> to use Squeak and Kom.
>
> How does it work?
> - go to /seaside/config
> - add an entry point of type Filesystem Link
> - enter the directory to which the
> - save
> - go to your entry point
>
> Given all these issues I'd be surprised if anyone seriously considers
> using this. It's more proof on concept what an acceptable file serving
> solution for Seaside might look like once it has matured and acquired
> enough users and we agree that this in needed for Seaside.
>
> Philippe

I still don't understand why it is even being considered adding file
serving to *Seaside*.  Seaside is a "module" to be plugged into a
Smalltalk *web server*.  Adding file serving there would be like adding
it to mod_python.  Why?  The web server is already doing it in a much
more flexible way.  IMO what could be added to make things easier is a
web front-end for each of the web servers to allow them to be configured
(this should be provided by the web servers themselves IMO).  Then the
Seaside config page could just point back to this for web server
configuration.