[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

sig siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 22:57:20 UTC 2007

On 21/07/07, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:19:56 -0700, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at USMedRec.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've never really been able to counter those arguments and I've
> > experienced some of the downside.  I had a programmer that was just gaa
> > gaa over
> > Borland's Delphi.  He really believed that it was the best possible gui
> > development platform out there and really wanted me to let him build an
> > application with it.
>
> I'd say best available, depending on when, and as long as you're limited
> to Windows development, and concerned with a number of other issues Delphi
> handles very well.
>
> > I relented and as you can probably guess we needed to support that
> > application after he moved on.  You are right that we were able to
> > support the application because of the quality of the developers, but
> > even small changes required a large amount of tinkering and learning that
> > would not have been necessary had I stuck to my guns and said no.
>
> Ah, but how do you measure that against the additional time it would've
> taken for him to build the app using [some other tool]?
>
> As one of the original Delphi users (beta tester and author for V1), it
> was intersting for me last year to find a company that had built an
> incredible application on it which showed exactly where the whole thing
> fell apart. These were smart guys who were using all the up-to-date design
> technologies they could leverage using Delphi, and yet as I looked at all
> the gyrations they had to go through, it became clear to me that none of
> these acrobatics would be necessary in Smalltalk.
>
> On the other hand, no Smalltalk could have produced the UI that set them
> apart from their competitors without them also going into many unrelated
> businesses (like producing graphing components).

Yes this what i called a 'parasitic' business. By swimming near
sharks, small companies providing numerous addons, enhancements e.t.c.
for the need of developers.
Each of these candies costs some $$$ and provided in binary form.
Alas, we cannot make same with squeak, because everything is open
source from the beginning, and even bytecodes can be easily
decompiled.
So, squeak will never become a shark under which body parasites can
hide and eat leftovers from shark's dinner.
And i'm pretty happy with it :)
Programmers must stop selling same ideas again and again, just in new
packing. This is not progress , this is parasitism on consumers
market.