[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

sig siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 07:50:41 UTC 2007

On 21/07/07, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:57:20 -0700, sig <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes this what i called a 'parasitic' business. By swimming near
> > sharks, small companies providing numerous addons, enhancements e.t.c.
> > for the need of developers.
> > Each of these candies costs some $$$ and provided in binary form.
> > Alas, we cannot make same with squeak, because everything is open
> > source from the beginning, and even bytecodes can be easily
> > decompiled.
> > So, squeak will never become a shark under which body parasites can
> > hide and eat leftovers from shark's dinner.
> > And i'm pretty happy with it :)
> > Programmers must stop selling same ideas again and again, just in new
> > packing. This is not progress , this is parasitism on consumers
> > market.
>
> They're not selling the same ideas, they're selling the considerable
> effort it takes to implement those ideas.

Yeah! You right!
Just an examle from my life: i bought a keyboard with power/sleep keys
placed right above cursor keys, after i turned my PC sleep/shutdown 3
times in a hour i started to search a way, how to disable them in
windoze. And i found it!
A GREAT keyboard utility, which must stay resident in memory and totally Free.
I downloaded it and installed, then i found that for disabling
power/sleep keys i need to pay them a $$ ...
- A considerable effort needed to design keyboard with such idiotic keys layout
- A considerable effort needed to design an OS, which don't have key
filtering features
- A considerable effort needed to implement key filtering and sell it :)