[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sat Jul 21 09:23:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:48:11 -0700, sig <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if you done things badly, you must give users a way to easily fix
> that. In most unix-es changing keys layout is just reading a short doc
> and editing a text file. You don't even need to learn any computer
> language to make this. Compare given efforts with those, which windows
> users need for such trivial tasks.

Apparently, you don't, as Microsoft demonstrates repeatedly. You can do
whatever the hell you want when you have a captive audience. (I'm not
arguing that Windows is a model here, except perhaps in trying to maintain
that captive audience through coercion rather than persuasion. I actually
don't se how Windows is particularly relevant to a discussion on the
merits of third party software except, I guess, that it's crapitude
encourages 3rd party software, right up to the point where MS swallows the
3rd party.)

> Simply compare this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302092
> and this:
> http://www.linux.com/articles/113715

Don't need to. I found a solution in five minutes that didn't involve me
reading at all. Illiteracy (and laziness) will out!

> Yes, i agree with what you say, but just tell me, how many topics you
> seen like 'my Win-XP-like controls, for <...>', is this a good way to
> bring something new and shiny to society, but don't leave others a way
> how to reuse it, and forcing those numerous 'XP-like' controls suites
> appear for different languages/dev tools which targeted to run on
> windows XP anyways.

Actually, both those links include source code with purchase, at least

And it has nothing to do with being "XP-like". The simple fact is, those
components encapsulate a whole lot of technology that I don't have to
program if I use Delphi, that I =do= have to program if I want to use

The breadth (and occasionally, the depth) of Squeak's third party support
is astounding, frankly. It says a lot about the joy of working with it.

But grids and graphs aren't going anywhere. They're easy to understand and
use. And the two companies I pointed out are just two of =dozens= that
supply those sorts of things for the relatively minor development
environment that is Delphi. And Delphi comes with both grids AND graphs

It's all very well to be disdainful of people trying to make a living in
niche markets, but that don't put the budget graph in front of the CFO.

Anyway, I think we've gotten way afield here.