[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sat Jul 21 09:23:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:48:11 -0700, sig <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if you done things badly, you must give users a way to easily fix
> that. In most unix-es changing keys layout is just reading a short doc
> and editing a text file. You don't even need to learn any computer
> language to make this. Compare given efforts with those, which windows
> users need for such trivial tasks.

Apparently, you don't, as Microsoft demonstrates repeatedly. You can do
whatever the hell you want when you have a captive audience. (I'm not
arguing that Windows is a model here, except perhaps in trying to maintain
that captive audience through coercion rather than persuasion. I actually
don't se how Windows is particularly relevant to a discussion on the
merits of third party software except, I guess, that it's crapitude
encourages 3rd party software, right up to the point where MS swallows the
3rd party.)

> Simply compare this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302092
> and this:
> http://www.linux.com/articles/113715

Don't need to. I found a solution in five minutes that didn't involve me
reading at all. Illiteracy (and laziness) will out!

> Yes, i agree with what you say, but just tell me, how many topics you
> seen like 'my Win-XP-like controls, for <...>', is this a good way to
> bring something new and shiny to society, but don't leave others a way
> how to reuse it, and forcing those numerous 'XP-like' controls suites
> appear for different languages/dev tools which targeted to run on
> windows XP anyways.

Actually, both those links include source code with purchase, at least
optionally.

And it has nothing to do with being "XP-like". The simple fact is, those
components encapsulate a whole lot of technology that I don't have to
program if I use Delphi, that I =do= have to program if I want to use
Squeak.

The breadth (and occasionally, the depth) of Squeak's third party support
is astounding, frankly. It says a lot about the joy of working with it.

But grids and graphs aren't going anywhere. They're easy to understand and
use. And the two companies I pointed out are just two of =dozens= that
supply those sorts of things for the relatively minor development
environment that is Delphi. And Delphi comes with both grids AND graphs
=free=.

It's all very well to be disdainful of people trying to make a living in
niche markets, but that don't put the budget graph in front of the CFO.

Anyway, I think we've gotten way afield here.