[Seaside] Swazoo web server

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jul 22 12:00:01 UTC 2007

Hi Marteen,

Maarten Mostert wrote:

> I just reloaded SeasideForSwazoo from the VW repository
> (2.8a1.399,mbany) 9/7/2007.

Be sure to load Swazoo 1.0 (released) from nov2005 and not more recent
development ones.

> I have another question in another threat to which you can maybe be of
> some light.
> Can Swazoo handle 20MB downloads at the same time as continuing serving
> my seaside application ?

Currently not very efficient. I just tried and it managed to download
20M file with 56KB/sec (on 100MB optical line) but CPU was 100% and with
excessive garbage generation. Parallel wget was blocked during that
time. That wget otherwise got 11KB HTML file in avg 120ms (about
100KB/sec) on 4M DSL line.

Problem seems to be in current implementation of response sending, which
generates a lot of small short living arrays to send segments of data to
TCP socket. Not to mention that all file is read in memory and copied
there several times!

I'm currently working on streaming support and just finished input
streaming (for file uploads). Idea is to stream files directly from/to
TCP sockets, without intermediate buffering in memory. After that and
after careful GC avoidance optimizations I'm confident that Swazoo will
be capable to serve such large files in parallel to serve other requests.

Input streaming will be released in few days as Swazoo 2.0 beta2, while
I expect to finish output streaming soon after that too.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek