[Seaside] Swazoo web server

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jul 22 18:20:59 UTC 2007

Hi Marteen,

Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> Can Swazoo handle 20MB downloads at the same time as continuing
>> serving my seaside application ?
>
> Currently not very efficient. I just tried and it managed to download
> 20M file with 56KB/sec (on 100MB optical line) but CPU was 100% and with
> excessive garbage generation. Parallel wget was blocked during that
> time. That wget otherwise got 11KB HTML file in avg 120ms (about
> 100KB/sec) on 4M DSL line.

Well, I just made that optimization and now Swazoo can serve long files
while serving others too. Problem was in very badly done flush to TCP
socket, which copied a whole file everytime it sends a small chunk to
socket. This wasn't obvious at small responses but became obvious at
large files.

Now a 20MB file is served with about 4MB/sec on 100Mb line while 11KB
requests are just slightly slower, about 160ms instead of 120 on 4Mb line.

But it still takes about 10s reading that file to memory and copying
there several times and during that time server is blocked. Streaming
will solve that problem too.

You can try by yourself: download
http://esug2003.esug.org/vrh-oktober.tar.gz while requesting first page
http://esug2003.esug.org.

This website is served by Aida/Web static web serving but I think same
results would be with Swazoo's own one.

This optimization will be already included in forthcoming 2.0 beta2.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek