[Seaside] VisualWorks + WebServers

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jul 25 10:43:46 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2007/7/25, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>:

>> Main goal of Swazoo is portability, portability and once again
>> portability. Swazoo is currently running on 3 dialects and will soon on
>> another one, so everyone developing a web framework with portability in
>> mind should think deeply of which web server to support by default. And
>> supporting Swazoo means not having portability problems everytime a new
>> version of framework is out.

> They way I understand Swazoo it does not handle encoding. This means
> someone who uses Swazoo will have to implement encoding on every
> platform unless the wants to deal with bytearrays instead of strings.

Maybe we can think of adding encoding to Sport portability layer so that
encoding will be portable among dialects. Web frameworks will then have
a portable way to deal with that.

Aida/Web for instance has just two methods, which are used elsewhere for
codepage conversions: AIDASite class convert:fromCodepage: and
convert:toCodepage: . All I needed to do while porting Aida to Squeak
was to change those two methods. Those two methods can be just put in Sport.

Seasiders can introduce something like that too and you'll solve
codepage problems once for ever!

Best regards
Janko

--