[Seaside] Server sizing - 100 concurrent users

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Sun Jun 3 21:16:18 UTC 2007

On 6/3/07, radoslav hodnicak <rh at 4096.sk> wrote:

> What's the point of having 10-20VMs (not sure whether you mean virtual
> machines as in OS virtualization or squeak's VM) on a single server? I
> would understand having 2-4 (one image per cpu/core).

For two reasons.  One is that you keep the individual image size of
each down, which helps out the garbage collector and also makes it
unlikely that you'll run into evil problems with Squeak on linux in
particular that can cause segfaults when the image size gets up over
500MB or so.

The other is that Squeak tends to drop socket connections when there's
too many concurrent clients, so it's good to spread that over multiple
VMs.

In a perfect world you'd certainly only want one per core, but these
are the practical realities we've found.

Avi