[Seaside] internalization support

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:50:59 UTC 2007

2007/6/9, Andrius Paulavicius <apaulavicius at gmail.com>:
> >> Hello there,
> >> What is the proper way to use Unicode and do internalization in Seaside?
> >> Now I'm trying to bypass wrong page encoding it in a very silly way
> >> by editing all text from the web browser, still possibility to enter
> >> Unicode characters into input fields would be nice ;)
> >
> > What encoding do you want for the strings in your image and what
> > encoding should you webpage have?
>
> Anything would do, UTF-8 preferably.

Given your setup that would be WAKom
The strings in you image will have utf-8 encoding where each character
is acutally only a byte, this is very similiar to Ruby.
There is just one catch, you need a special version of Kom for Squeak
3.9 that is not publically available. IIRC if you install Seaside over
SqueakMap you will get this version of Kom.

If you want to have "Unicode" strings in you image use WAKomEncoded39

> > What Smalltalk do you run?
> > Which Seaside version do you run?
>
> I use Squeak 3.9 and Seaside 2.7.216
>
> > Seaside will not help you to internalize you application (eg. build a
> > french and tamil version).
>
> How would you usually go about doing this?

1. use a symbol and look it up (in a table in the session or something similar)
#home translate

2. use a special kind of multilingual string object
'home' << 'Haus'  << 'maison'

Cheers
Philippe