[Seaside] "Element.extend is not a function" anybody?

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Sun Jun 10 22:07:51 UTC 2007

Hi there,

  I've see a couple of questions in the Prototype list about this but none
with a direct
answer. I've also asked there but haven't had a single answer about that in
two days. I'm starting to suspect I should know better what happen at load
page time to see if everything is ok in this Seaside component.

  The thing is that a couple of days ago I've starting to see this message
with
Firebug. Anybody see this sometimes? Under which situation could possibly
be?

Message is:

Element.extend is not a function

I'm using

var Prototype = {
10 Version: '1.5.1_rc1',

in Firefox 2.0.0.4

   Debuggin from my own code just after it calls a

var candidate = $(anElementId)

   I followed this:

function $(element) {
1227 if (arguments.length > 1) {
1228 for (var i = 0, elements = [], length = arguments.length; i <
length; i++)
1229 elements.push($(arguments[i]));
1230 return elements;
1231 }
1232 if (typeof element == 'string')
1233 element = document.getElementById(element);
1234 return Element.extend(element);
1235}

and executing line by line I saw that it reaches line 1233 with the
appropriate (unextended) element and when executing line 1234 it says
"Element.extend is not a function"

Surely something basic is going on here but I'm unable to see what.
Does anybody see what is going on?

 thanks,

Sebastian
PS1: all this code is being executed starting from an invocation in the
onLoad() of the script of the page

PS2: I've already tried, and had the same results, with the last version of
Prototype 1.5.1 downloaded today from it's site (and processed the ' chars
to properly update the #prototypeJs method in SULibrary class).

PD3: is for the framework I've mentioned in the previous mail I've sent
today