[Seaside] Cincom Supporting Seaside on VisualWorks

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Tue Jun 19 19:56:48 UTC 2007

At 01:31 PM 6/19/2007, William Harford wrote:

>On Jun 19, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Boris Popov wrote:
>
>>We plan to support Seaside, and that support will include a relational
>>persistence solution.
>
>That will be interesting. Looks like there will be a bit of healthy
>competition between Cincom and Gemstone.
>
>I wonder what Cincom's "relational persistence solution" will look
>like. Will it be an object oriented approach to relational storage
>like REServe ( http://squeaksource.com/REServe.html ) or take a more
>traditional approach to object mapping like Glorp.

It is likely to be a more traditional approach, with automation of the mapping for simple cases. Certainly an approach like Glorp reflects my biases :-)

While I'm not familiar with REServe, I don't see as much value in trying to do an OODB-like approach layered onto relational. If people can use an OODB, then they are better off using one directly. One of the motivations for using a relational databases is that there are other things accessing the data that want it in relational form. This is less likely to be doable using something that maps the objects onto its own opaque relational schema.

>This is a subject that intreats me greatly and I  would love to hear
>more details on the proposed implementation if/when they are available.

An example of the sort of things I have been thinking of can be seen in the GlorpActiveRecord packages in the Cincom Public Repository. I also talked about that at the Cincom User Conference in December in Frankfurt. It's sketchy, and things always change, but it's a start.

>Thanks
>Will

Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
knight at acm.org
aknight at cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk