[Seaside] How to Implement a Website

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:01:52 UTC 2007

> I thought one of the advantages of Seaside was being able to do away with
> HTML templates and to generate HTML programmatically.

Yes, but programmatic HTML generation does not scale for static web
site, in my opinion. For dynamic web applications this is clearly an
advantage.

> If a particular
> webpage consists of a mix of HTML (from the traditional website) and a
> dynamic web app, are you supposed to generate HTML just for this webpage?

Pier was designed for that. It allows to combine static XHTML
(generated from a simple wiki syntax or using plain XHTML) and dynamic
Seaside components. I might be biased here, as I am the author of
Pier.

> How do you get your website to serve up *both* the traditional webpages and
> the Seaside app? (I saw a blog that explained how to setup a virtual http
> host and a Seaside server in Apache2, but I am unclear about the mechanism
> by which traditional webpages and the dynamic app coexist.)

There are certainly other possibilities. Basically you can use the
following expression to emit some static blocks of XHTML. I know of
very few use-cases though.

   html html: '<div>...</div>'

Lukas

--