[Seaside] Help getting started

Thomas F. Burdick tburdick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:21:59 UTC 2007

After a couple years away from Smalltalk, I thought I'd put
Squeak/Seaside on a server I have as an excuse to play around with ST
again.  But I found myself at a bit of a loss as to how to get the
thing up and running so I can play with it.

The way I'd setup a Lisp-based system would be to start the Lisp image
on the server running under screen and detach from it.  When I want to
hack the system, I'd remotely connect to the running image with an
Emacs-based ide, or attach to the screen and start up the Lisp's
built-in ide, connecting to the correct X11 display.  When done
hacking, I'd disconnect/close the ide, and leave the server running.

Translating these concepts as best I can to Squeak, my impulse is to
create an image loaded with Seaside, etc., along with
RemoteFrameBuffer, on my local machine.  I'd then start the image up
running in headless mode on the server, and much like with Lisp,
detach the screen and connect to the running image with a VNC client.

Is this reasonable/normal?  How do you all setup your environments?
My ST experience has so far been limited to doing things locally on
one machine.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas