[Seaside] Re: i10n or speed?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:17:56 UTC 2007

2007/3/19, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com>:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:58:11 +0100, Philippe Marschall wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Have you ever tried a counter in a recent version of Seaside? I don't
> > know about you but for such a simple application it is way too slow
> > for my taste. As part of the 2.8 cycle we look into ways of making
> > Seaside faster.
> >
> > Attached you will find several traces for the counter application.
> > As you can see, an awful lot of time is spent to convert URLs to
> > String. Of that most time is spent in#encodeForHTTP.
>
> I know how to speed up #isSafeForHTTP :)

At the string level I now use #isByteString + #indexOfAnyOf: with a
character set of unsafe latin1 characters.
At the character level I use

(aCharacter charCode < 128 and: [ (unsafeCharacterSet includes:  each) not ])

works pretty dandy so far.

> Could you make me the traces
> again, with the following "correction": there seems to be an #ensure: (at
> the top of tree) which seems to obscure,

That's from the MessageTally. What excatly do you want to have profiled?

> what details are touched by
> #encodeForHTTP and #isSafeForHTTP.

URL generation for anchors and stuff.

Philippe.