[Seaside] Seaside and REST

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:25:52 UTC 2007

> * RESTful URLs: Philippe pointed me to http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/
>   which discusses the use of RESTful URLs in Pier. Looking at it I found
> the dazzlingly cryptic method PRPierFrame>>initialRequest: and gave up
> on the idea for the time being ;-)

The thing that Pier is doing in #initialRequest: has absolutely
nothing to do with RESTful URLs. In Pier this method is used to setup
the dynamic component tree specified in the environment page of the
wiki.

The thing that parses the URL is PRPierMain>>#start: and friends.
While all this could be well done also in #initialRequest:, it is
still there for historic reasons.

What you have to have a look at is PRPierMain>>#updateRoot: and
friends are the methods that generate the RESTful URLs.

> Could someone perhaps give a brief outline of what needs
> to be done to support RESTful URLs in Seaside that both,
> goes well beyond "it can be done" and stays well short of
> PRPierFrame's implementation? ;-)

WABrowser

> * GET vs. POST: One of the things that confused me about the simple
> counter example already is that it uses POST instead of GET - isn't GET
> supposed to be idempotent as well as not modifying the requested resource?

Frankly, if you are thinking about URLs and POST vs. GET, you should
probably not use Seaside.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli