[Seaside] Re: Seaside and REST

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 09:03:36 UTC 2007

> >> * GET vs. POST: One of the things that confused me about the simple
> >> counter example already is that it uses POST instead of GET - isn't GET
> >> supposed to be idempotent as well as not modifying the requested
> >> resource?
> >
> > Frankly, if you are thinking about URLs and POST vs. GET, you should
> > probably not use Seaside.
>
> Frankly, giving a non-answer like this isn't exactly helpful.

Seaside is for people that don't want to worry about low level details
such as HTTP. It let them think about more important things when
building a sophisticated application. Again if you want to fiddle
around with URLs and worry about HTTP details you probably should use
a different framework.

Have a look at #navigation in WAAnchorTag. It creates an idempotent
(navigational) action callback for anchors.

> question. And I think the robots issue is a real one, too. Or do Seaside
> apps somehow, magically, never get indexed?

You see, Seaside is for sophisticated web *applications* and not web
*sites*. Does it make sense to index an application like Microsoft
Word? I doubt so.

> Can they even be indexed in any meaningful way?

They certainly can, ask Google what it knows about my Pier site:

     http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+site:www.lukas-renggli.ch

Cheers,
Lukas

--