[Seaside] Seaside and REST

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:34:14 UTC 2007

2007/3/29, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Hi Folks -
>
> I've been toying around with Seaside and there are quite a few things
> that I don't understand. Since I've been spamming the Squeak list
> already with some of these questions I figure it's probably about time
> to move the discussion to this list. Here we go:
>
> * RESTful URLs: Philippe pointed me to http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/
>   which discusses the use of RESTful URLs in Pier. Looking at it I found
> the dazzlingly cryptic method PRPierFrame>>initialRequest: and gave up
> on the idea for the time being ;-)
>
> Could someone perhaps give a brief outline of what needs to be done to
> support RESTful URLs in Seaside that both, goes well beyond "it can be
> done" and stays well short of PRPierFrame's implementation? ;-)
>
> * GET vs. POST: One of the things that confused me about the simple
> counter example already is that it uses POST instead of GET - isn't GET
> supposed to be idempotent as well as not modifying the requested resource?

You mean that the default method of forms in Seaside is POST as in
HTML and if you want them to use GET you have to tell them to use GET
instead of POST?

The default counter uses anchors which are GET - always - this is
hardwired in HTML and can not be changed.

> Can someone explain to me why Seaside uses GET for such requests and not
> POST? What rules does Seaside have for using GET vs. POST? What happens
> if a robot ever comes across the counter example?

Anchors are GET, always. That has nothing to do with Seaside but with
HTML. Forms are default POST and GET if requested. Same as in HTML.

I really fail to see the problem there, Seaside behaves exactly like
HTML which is not surprising since it uses HTML.

Philippe