[Seaside] Re: Seaside and REST

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Mar 30 06:42:22 UTC 2007

Colin Putney wrote:
> Seaside doesn't have "special rules" but it does (by default) use a
> convention to make this stuff a little safer. Normally, the transition
> from one page to another is split into two request-response cycles. The
> first triggers the callbacks associated with the link or form elements,
> and Seaside sends back a 302 response, redirecting the browser to
> another url. The second request triggers no callbacks and is a "pure"
> HTTP GET. Seaside sends back an html representation of the page in its
> new state. That page can be reloaded as much as you like with no side
> effects.

Wow. This is pretty clever. I can see how this avoids a whole bunch of
nasty problems.

> Seaside is a set of compromises that takes a lot of the pain out of
> writing web apps. For web apps - software that uses the web as it's user
> interface - it's a pretty good compromise. It's not a good compromise
> for dynamic websites, or RESTful web services or similar things.
>
> Hope this help with your decision,

Yes, indeed it does. I think I'll try a mix-and-match approach and see
where this gets me: Use HV2 for the RESTful parts and Seaside for the
more complex ones. If it ends up all being Seaside in the end (or all
being HV2) that's fine - for now I like to be able to try out both
approaches and delay any irrecoverable decisions for a while. I think
there is room for both in what I'm doing and learning about the
strengths and weaknesses of each approach can't hurt.

Cheers,
   - Andreas