[Seaside] [ANN] GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2007

smalltalk at jgfoster.net smalltalk at jgfoster.net
Wed May 2 00:41:37 UTC 2007

One slight correction: The RAM limit is 1-GB for the shared page cache.

The goal here is to match Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and other
database vendors that have chosen 1-CPU, 1-GB RAM, and 4-GB disk as the
limits for their free editions. (Note that these limits are what the
database will use, not a minimum or maximum for your hardware). The
goal here is to provide something that is much more than a toy, but
will eventually move some users to a paid license if they need more
resources.

As noted by others, the product is "GemStone/S 64 Bit version 2.2",
which is distinct from the 32-bit product (currently on version 6.1.x).
Version 2.2.0 of the 64-bit product is where most of the recent
engineering work has been done (including continuations) and it shipped
to existing customers last week. The 64-bit product runs only on
Unix/Linux (the free edition is limited to Linux). The free edition
delivers the same executables, but because of the license limitations
some features will be less evident (such as multi-threading on a single
CPU).

It is very unlikely that the Seaside functionality will be ported back
to the 32-bit product. Those that do not have a 64-bit Linux machine
(yet!) will be encouraged to play in the hosted sandbox. In addition,
there are no plans to port the 64-bit product to Microsoft Windows.
Windows users are encouraged to investigate some sort of virtualization
to run Linux on their Windows machine.

The announced "general availability" for the free version is for Q3, but
those interested in a beta version should write to gssbeta at gemstone.com.
Much of what remains to be done is logistics surrounding download,
license key generation, and additional functionality of the
Squeak-based tools and interface.

James Foster
QA Lead
GemStone Systems, Inc.