[Seaside] Newbie Questions

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:02:44 UTC 2007

2007/5/2, Piero Sartini <lists at pierosartini.de>:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new to squeak and the whole smalltalk world. Without seaside, I
> would never have looked at smalltalk ... I am very happy I did :-)
>
> However, after playing around for two days and reading and watching everything
> I could find on the net (thanks to Ramon for blogging about his
> experiences .. his writings and screencasts are very useful to me!) there are
> still some questions.
>
> First of all, since I am particulary interested in seaside and web
> development: Is there a nice docu about how to deploy an image to a server? I
> assume this needs to be some kind of headless image - and then .. how to make
> updates without shutting down the image? Has anyone already "standardized"
> this procedures (and wrote them down;) ?

It sounds scary at first but many Seaside production applications use
a "headed" Squeak Image. Either with a VNC server on the server or use
the built in VNC server in Squeak. How you deploy code kinda depends
on your setup (how often you do how many deployments). Many people
just load in new code via Monticello, either with the Morphic Browser
in the image or the web based version uploader. There are no publicly
available solutions for automatically deploying code but it can be
implemented quite easily and has been done at least in two places.

> Next thing I do not understand completely is this oodb thing. I never did
> anything with oodb and I could not find much information about Magma /
> GOODS / .... - question is: are there good tutorials and which of this
> solutions are stable and useable? I tried to install magma but after
> telnetting to its port and feeding some random chars it crashed my whole
> squeak ....
>
> Also I do not completely understand all these images. The "standard" squeak
> image seems a bit colorful and I am not sure its the right one for developing
> with all these graphics, painting toys and objects around which I do not
> understand (yet) :-)

Yeah, it's suboptimal but it works. Seaside 2.8 will run on the
KernelImage that includes none of the graphics and toys.

> I am using squeak-dev-beta-118W now, but there are much
> playing toys around as well.

The dev images by Damien are standard Squeak Images with a lot of
packages that are helpful for development loaded in. You can base a
production application on them or you can use a standard Squeak Image
and load all the packages in that you need for production. Depends on
your taste.

Cheers
Philippe