[Seaside] [ANN] (gem)Stone Soup

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Tue May 8 18:22:58 UTC 2007

Lukas,

In the long run I would hope that the cool Squeak libraries that are
needed by your application will be ported to GemStone.

When I ported SqueakSource to GemStone, I had to also port SmaCC,
TinyWiki, Mewa, VB-Regex, and XML-Parser (I'm not sure that VB-Regex and
XML-Parser are directly used by SqueakSource - I haven't hit any
problems with them in running SqueakSource:). The changes that were
needed to get them to run were relatively minor. Frankly, the majority
of work in porting SqueakSource to GemStone, involved porting it to a
newer version of Seaside with very little work porting it to GemStone.

With that said, I assume that some of the cool libraries will be harder
to port than others. For example, if you rely on functionality in Form
or BitBlt, you'll not find support for them in the current port. But
that's where I think we at GemStone will step in and help provide more
fundamental support. It just happens that I could work around the
absence of Form and BitBlt (for now).

Dale