[Seaside] Multiple applications in multiple images?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun May 20 19:10:41 UTC 2007

2007/5/20, Adrian Schmitt <adrian.schmitt at googlemail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have found a solution for myself to load-balance a single seaside
> application with multiple images.
>
> I use 10 squeak instances with 10 separate images (I thought separate
> images would be good to be able to easily upgrade to a new version of
> the image or also squeak without interrupting the web service,
> replacing the images one by one)
>
> Now the next step is managing multiple applications. I am wondering if
> it would be wiser to put each application into its own image, this
> would make the amount of images on the server grow, but each
> application has its own image and this is maybe easier to maintain (on
> upgrades).
>
> So the config is like this:
>
> - apache2 with reverse proxy
> - a load balancer (e.g. HAProxy)
> - solution A:
>     10 squeak instances and images and each of them containing
>     application 1 and application 2
> - solution B
>     10 squeak instances and images for application 1
>     10 squeak instances and images for application 2
>
> Maybe in solution B it could be necessary to reduce the absolute
> amount of squeak instances, maybe to 7 + 7, depending on the machine
> memory. Or use more servers.
>
> I post this before trying out multiple applications with load balancing.
>
> Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?

Having an image for each application is certainly preferable given the
stability, memory limitations and thread model of the Squeak VM.

With that many images you might want to start looking into ways to
save memory. One thing is to suspend the processes of not active
Squeak images, this allows them to be swapped out by the OS. An other
is to use small images. The options here are either one of Avi's small
3.7 images or one of Pavels Kernel or Minimal Morphic images. Kernel
images require Seaside 2.8 which is currently alpha software.

Cheers
Philippe