[Seaside] Re: gemstone / appliance / ISP options

Monty Williams monty.williams at gemstone.com
Mon Nov 5 14:10:18 UTC 2007

There are three ways to get started with the GemStone/Seaside Beta. The
first is available today for a limited number of users. The others will be
available around mid-November. The general release of GemStone/Seaside is
targeted for Q4 2007.

Option 1. Install a full version of GemStone/S from scratch on a 64-bit
Linux box. This requires a moderate amount of Linux system administration
skills at present, but we're working on automating this further. This is the
suggested route to deploy a production system as you can tune memory, disks,
network, etc. to meet your performance requirements.

Option 2. Install a GemStone/Seaside "Virtual Appliance" on a 64-bit
Macintosh or Windows computer. This is a preconfigured double-clickable
VMware image that includes Ubuntu Linux, Apache, GemStone/S with three Gems,
Seaside and Firefox pointing to the running GemStone/Seaside instance. This
is a good system to use for development, or even for light deployment.
You'll need a copy of VMware Player for Windows
(http://www.vmware.com/download/player/) or VMware Fusion for MacOSX
(http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/). Note: VMware requires an Intel VT
(at least a Core 2 Duo) or AMD-V chipset to run 64-bit guest operating
systems.

Option 3. Use a "Sandbox" account we can set up on a GemStone system for
you. This is primarily useful if you don't have access to a 64-bit system.
It's not a GemStone/Seaside hosting system, just a place for you to try
things out. If you have access to a suitable 64-bit system, that's usually a
better alternative. Other hosting options are planned for early next year.

Check out Dale's blog at http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/ -- it has both
short articles and longer technical details. It's a valuable resource if you
want to learn more about GemStone/Seaside.

You may want to sign up for our low traffic Beta mailing list at
http://seaside.gemstone.com/mailman/listinfo/beta. Once you are signed up,
there is a full archive of this mailing list available at
http://seaside.gemstone.com/mailman/private/beta/

A GemSource repository you can use for either Squeak or GemStone Seaside
projects is available at http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/