[Seaside] ProxyPass and the P Option

Richard Eng richard.eng at rogers.com
Mon Nov 5 22:57:27 UTC 2007

The following httpd.conf file *almost* does what I want to do (SSL and
load-balancing):

LoadModule  proxy_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule  proxy_http_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_http.so
LoadModule  rewrite_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule  ssl_module  /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule  proxy_balancer_module
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so

ServerName www.goodsexnetwork.com

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.101:80

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.101:80>
RewriteEngine       on
ProxyRequests       off
DocumentRoot        /var/www
RewriteCond         %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule  ^/(.*)$  https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [L,R]
</VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.101:443

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.101:443>
RewriteEngine       on
ProxyRequests       off
ProxyPreserveHost   on
SSLEngine           on
SSLCertificateFile  /etc/apache2/ssl/apache.pem
DocumentRoot        /var/www/ssl
ProxyPass           /seaside/go  balancer://seaside_cluster
ProxyPassReverse    /seaside/go  balancer://seaside_cluster
<Proxy balancer://seaside_cluster>
    BalancerMember  http://localhost:9090/seaside/go
    BalancerMember  http://localhost:9091/seaside/go
    BalancerMember  http://localhost:9092/seaside/go
</Proxy>
RewriteRule  ^/$  balancer://seaside_cluster [P,L]
</VirtualHost>

However, I am unable to navigate to other pages in the web app...

When I type:
http://www.goodsexnetwork.com

it takes me to:
https://www.goodsexnetwork.com

which is, effectively:
https://www.goodsexnetwork.com/seaside/go
(my homepage)

But then if I try to click to another page (which has the URL:
https://www.goodsexnetwork.com/seaside/go?_k=something&_s=something
&somedigit), it strips off everything after the /go and leaves me stranded
at the homepage. In other words, the *only* URL I ever see is:

https://www.goodsexnetwork.com/seaside/go

Like I said, almost everything works. I have SSL (https). I have load
balancing (at least to the homepage). I just have to understand why the _k
and _s parts of the URL are not being transferred.

So close, yet so far. This is frustrating...

Regards,
Richard